This is an awesome protein dessert, i miiight even say it’s my favourite. Moist and flavourful, unlike most of my failed baked protein desserts.
Original recipe from janetha at meals & moves!
Ingredients for apple cinnamon protein coffee cake:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 scoops protein powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp brown sugar (or splenda brown sugar blend)
1 tbsp margarine, as low-cal as you can find
1 tbsp olive oil
2 egg whites (6 tbsp carton egg whites)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup 0% plain or vanilla greek yogurt (if you’re canadian like me, the $3 strained 0% balkan-style Astro yogurt with a cow on it works juuust fine)
1/2 – 1 chopped up apple. g smith or gala.
3 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup almonds, chopped
3 tbsp sugar or sweetener. just not stevia, if you use 3 tbsp of stevia in a topping, i can’t guarantee you will live after eating it.
1. Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 5×7 pan. i don’t possess a 5×7 so an 8×8 did the trick.
2. Toss chopped apples with 1 tsp cinnamon, and set on a frying pan to cook until a litttttle bit mushy. About 5 minutes.
3. Combine almonds, sweetener/sugar, and the remaining 2 tsp of cinnamon in its own little bowl.
4. Mix together flour, protein powder, baking soda and salt.
5. In a seperate bowl, beat together brown sugar, margarine and olive oil until nice and creamy.
And of course mix in the egg whites and vanilla for added tastiness and protein. Anddd lastly, mix in yogurt.
6. Gradually add the flour mixture to all the wet stuff and mix in.
7. Pour about 1/2 the mixture into the prepared pan, top with apples and some of the almond mixture.
Pour the rest of the batter overtop, and dump any leftover almond mixture on top for crunchiness (and prettiness).
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Should get 100% on the toothpick test.
9. Drizzle with cream cheese icing to kill every ounce of healthiness and eat! It is GOOOOOD.
Who’s awesome? JANETHA’s awesome!