my mom is a lot like a hummingbird. you know, zippy and busy and kind of a lunatic. i made these summery cupcakes packed with banana, pineapple, coconut and walnuts for mother’s day this year, and they were a huuuge hit. 🙂
never doubt the power of tropical fruits and cream cheese icing.
Adapted from this recipe.
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil (canola oil or just butter/margarine works)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
5 or 6 super ripe bananas, mashed
1 8 oz can of canned (crushed) pineapple, keep the juice
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 – 1 cup sweetened coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350F. (you know i actually saw this phrase so many times i considered naming my blog bakeat350?)
2. Combine dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, but NOT sugar).
3. Next, beat together sugar, vanilla and oil.
4. Add eggs to the gross oil-and-sugar mixture and beat in one at a time.
5. Add the flour mixture and mix until everything’s wet (normal people would say ‘just combined’). It actually won’t be that wet, but everything will be of a uniform.. wetness?
6. Here’s the fun part! Add the mashed bananas and pineapple, sweet juices and all, stir in.
Add most of the walnuts (keep a few for decoration if you like) and if you’re reaallly feelin’ crazy, 1/2 cup of sweetened coconut.
7. Spoon batter into greased normal size or mini muffin pans, i went about 3/4 of the way full because i wanted little dome cupcakes.
i frickin’ loved the baby cupcakes, the big ones seemed too.. i don’t know. Intimidating?
8. Bake mini cupcakes for about 12 minutes, bigger ones for 20-25. Then again, my oven is just ridiculous, so keep your eyes on these babies.
9. Flip them out of the pan (the mini ones made this adorable little plop plop .. plop.. plop plop noise), and let them cool.
10. Lastly, when totally cool, frost/dunk into cream cheese icing and garnish with obscene amounts of coconut and/or walnuts.
Try it, you will LOVE it! anndd have people trying to bribe you for the recipe.