you will never see a cake-y brownie on this blog. nooope nope, i am all about thick fudgy goodness. this brownie fits the bill perfectly, a dense fudgy (chocolatey!) brownie with a sweet and distinctive Kahlua frosting. i’m sure cream cheese icing would work too. when does cream cheese icing not work? uh.. never.
Original recipe from recipegirl.
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp Kahlua or another coffee flavoured liqueur.
1/4 cup butter
2 extra tbsp Kahlua
1 tbsp whipping cream (half and half works)
2 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F, and you’re gonna wanna grease a brownie pan
(i used a 9×9). i think i lined the pan with tinfoil, because it makes clean-up super easy.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Melt together butter and chocolate chips. Allll of ’em. In a saucepan over low heat until it’s smooth is the way to do it. Then let this delish mix cool off a bit.
4. With an electric mixer, beat together sugar, eggs and 1/2 cup kahluaaaa! (the other 2 tbsp of kahlua will be used elsewhere, so put it aside).
5. Pour in buttery chocolate mixture and beat until niiice and smooth.
6. Mix in dry ingredients, fold them in a little bit so they don’t fly up everywhere, then you can use a mixer to do the rest of the work. Beat until just combined, because overmixed brownies = hard brownies. 😦
7. Pour brownie batter into prepared pan. Then bake for 40-45 minutes (at 350F if you’ve forgotten), it should get about 85% on the toothpick test when done. If some gooey crumbs from the bottom stick, that’s totally ok.
Also, don’t panic if they rise a bit, they’ll fall back down within half an hour.
8. As soon as they’re out of the oven, brush the top with the remaining 2 tbsp of Kahlua. This gives it a nice, soft crust.
Brown Butter Kahlua Icing:
(if you’re not into butter browning, here’s a fabulous cream cheese icing)
1. Brown yo’ buttah. This recipes long enough, so here’s a tutorial on how to brown butter.
2. Remove from heat and add Kahlua and whipping cream/half and half/whatever.
3. Whisk in powdered sugar until you’re happy with the taste and consistency. i used about 2 cups, and the icing was thick and smooth, but not really pourable, so we spread it onto the cooled brownies with a spatula, no big deal.
And now the party starts! Woooooo, let’s get drunk on brownies!