my snickerdoodles have a pretty good story behind them.
jayme: hey gurrrl, i want to bake. do you have anything new for me to try?
friend #1: ummm. snickerdoodles?
jayme: snickerdoodles? i’ve never heard of those before. i’ll give it a whirl.
1.5 hours later..
jayme: OMG these are incredible! you have to come over and try these snickerdoodles!
friend #1: wait.. what? those actually exist? i just threw a word out there to see what happened.
yup. but its true, these soft and delicious cookies will turn any man, woman or beast on to cinnamon.
1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp cinnamon & 2 tbsp sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Cream together butter, shortening and sugar.
3. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
4. Mix in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Eaaasy peasy cookies.
5. Time for messy fun! Throw the 2 tbsp of cinnamon and 2 tbsp of sugar into a ziploc. Take some cookie dough, roll into a ball, and completely coat in the cinnamon sugar.
If you want to get a really pretty swirl, flatten the dough into the cinnamon sugar, coating it, and then roll into a ball. Neat!
6. On an ungreased cookie sheet (feel free to use parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet), bake for 8-10 minutes, and zip them onto your cooling rack right away. i am way too cheap to spend 15 dollars on a wire rack, so i use my (clean) countertop.
You will love these pretty, fragrant bundles of baking joy.
i even made these little guys festive with red and green sugar!